THE BADGE OF THE CROWN OF THORNS
Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee the crown of life. (Apoc.2:10)
1. This badge is intended to be worn in memory and honor of the painful Crown of Thorns of our Divine Lord and Savior, the King of Sorrows.
2. It will be white in color, as an emblem of the purity of our intention in this devotion and in all our moral actions, and of the purity of our heart in all our affections.
3. This badge will be marked with seventy-two red spots to express the seventy-two wounds very probably inflicted upon the adorable head of our Divine Lord, crowned with thorns. It may be pierced in seventy-two places, and underlined with red tape or ribbon. The red tape or ribbon, appearing through the holes of the white badge, will represent the punctures caused by the thorns in the head of our Savior.
4. On the front of the badge a small cross will be either stamped, or formed by two small pieces of red ribbon. Polished brass, silver or gold in the form of a cross may be used.
5. This crown is intended to be worn on the head either by itself, or it may be attached inside or outside any head-dress, convenient and proper for any class or sex of Catholic persons, according to the duly approved and legitimate customs of society in any country.
6. Like the beads, we Catholics intend to use this crown badge as a perpetual pledge of our sincere and hearty homage, love, devotion and obedience to Jesus Christ, the King of Kings, crowned with thorns for our sake and instruction. As the ancient monarchs wore a small white bandage round their head, as a symbol of their dignity, authority and power; so we intend with this crown badge to acknowledge and proclaim that Jesus our Lord is the Sovereign King of the Universe, the sole Redeemer of mankind, and the only Savior and Master of our soul.
7. Next to Jesus Christ, we profess our first and supreme spiritual allegiance to the Pope, his Vicar upon earth, the visible head of the Church, the first and highest ecclesiastical authority, and the infallible teacher of mankind.
8. We intend using the beads and wearing the badge of the Crown of Thorns as a sacred pledge of our sincere respect for all legitimate authority, spiritual or temporal, ecclesiastical or civil. On our side both the beads and the crown badge will be a practical protestation, and a pious defensive weapon against the modern spirit of libertinism, insubordination and revolt, aiming at the utter subversion of all natural and positive, human and divine law, authority and order. May our devotion to the Crown of Thorns of our Divine King prove an effective remedy for these serious evils, threatening the very existence of human society.